Fort delle Benne
It is located at the top of the homonymous hill that overlooks the Levico Lake, about 2 km from the village of Levico Terme. Also called the Fort of San Biagio, it was built between 1880 and 1882. It is part of fort’s style Vogl of earliest period (end of ’80), characterized by a structure of two or three blocks of horseshoes, with a section of stones for a close-up defence, armoured and not, covered by ground and with an open court.
The fort has a polygonal arrangement, northern side has a buttress with an armoured outer body. A series of trenches combined with a mule track rises up the steep slope to the Busa Granda (1500 m).
Its twin-fort is the Fort of Tenna on hill above lake Levico on southern side, used like observatory and depot, because of its backward position to the front. 13.10.1933 the fortress was owned by the Municipality of Levico.
The Fort of Tenna
The fort is located on the hill of Tenna that separates the Lakes of Levico and Caldonazzo. It was built between 1880 and 1882 with the typical Austrian military scheme, the Fort of Tenna and the “Colle delle Benne” Fort to the north-east were ideally positioned for a pincer movement attack to defend the entire Valsugana and also managed to watch over the plain of Caldonazzo.
From the Fort of Tenna it was also possible to control the access to the Monterovere road leading to the fortifications of Lavarone and the Vezzena-Plateau. In addition, it connected the Fort Pizzo to the High Command of Trento. It was abandoned by the Italian Military Property in 1931.
In 2009 starts a restauration and it was inaugurated on 18th August 2012, but there are still negotiations for its public opening.
Big Trench (fort) of Grigno
In 1866 in locality Martincelli was established the border between Austrian Empire and Italian Kingdom, between municipality of Grigno (Trentino) and Cismon del Grappa (Veneto). When First World War began Valsugana was the eastern of five sectors of Tretino’s Front. The unique defence structures of area were Fort of Tenna and delle Benne, nearby Levico Terme, realized in century before and not adequate for opposing a “modern” artillery.
As soon as Italy declare war, the Austrian troops retreated their position and Grigno goes quickly to Italy.
The Italians created a new defensive line, during the First World War, which the Austrian had not been able to organize. The defensive line was made of temporary forts: the most important are on the Monte Lefre and the Sette Comuni Plateau with outposts with machine guns to cover the defence lines in valley. One of them was the big trench of Grigno, it was divided into two areas: an open air first defensive line (with wooden reinforcement, together with sacks of sand) and a second line, formed by the Trincerone, never used in war, but conquered by Austrians after defeat of Caporetto.